September is Hunger Action Month!
ADVOCATE & EDUCATE
- Wear orange – the color of hunger awareness – every Thursday this month. Post pictures to social media and tag @feedingsandiego and hashtag #HungerActionMonth #EveryActionCounts #FeedingSanDiego
- Hunger Action Day is September 12, and Hunger Action Month is all of September: talk to your family, friends and neighbors about the crisis of hunger in our community.
- Watch “Solving Hunger by Solving Food Waste“, a TEDxSDSU Talk by Vince Hall, Feeding San Diego CEO.
- There is a proposed change to the Categorical Eligibility rule which could directly impact eligibility for SNAP benefits and eligibility for free and reduced-price meals, especially in California. Comments for this rule are due by September 23rd. Make your voice heard. Submit a comment here today.
- Advocate by signing up for our advocacy alert list. This year, Congress will start the process of Child Nutrition Reauthorization, an opportunity to improve and strengthen many of the federal programs that address child hunger, including the National School Lunch Program, School Breakfast Program, and after-school and summer meal programs. Throughout the year, there will be multiple opportunities to weigh in on policies that will directly affect what, how, and when children in our communities receive meals. Child Nutrition Reauthorization only happens once every five years, so don’t miss out on your chance to have your voice heard!
- Watch “A Place at the Table”: hear the powerful stories of three Americans who maintain their dignity even as they struggle just to eat.
- Follow Feeding San Diego on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, & LinkedIn and stay up-to-date on hunger news.
- Download the free app, Capital Call and call your member of Congress and make your voice #BeHeard. Let them know that 1 in 8 San Diegans are struggling with hunger, and it is not acceptable. Tell them what you’re doing to end hunger, and ask them what they will do.
- Sign up for Feeding San Diego’s monthly e-news and learn how you can join the fight against hunger.
- Register to vote on September 24, National Voter Registration Day. Every vote matters!
- Sign-up to volunteer at our dedicated Hunger Action Month volunteer shift on September 21 from 9 – 11 a.m., or any day this month.
- Rally your coworkers together for day of team building and volunteering. Sign-up for Teams for Good and make a huge impact against hunger.
DONATIONS & CAMPAIGNS
- Become a monthly donor and make a difference all year long!
- Make a donation to Feeding San Diego, which will enable us to rescue even more good food before it goes to waste and deliver it to the people who need it.
- Talk to your employer about matching donations made by employees to fight hunger. Can you get them on board?
- Brew Hop Against Hunger: attend one (or more!) of the 10 special events at local breweries and bars to support hunger-relief. All Brew Hop locations will be donating a portion of their proceeds to help provide meals to the community.
- Buy tickets to Runway: Where Fashion Meets Compassion taking place at Bloomingdale’s Fashion Valley on September 26: every ticket helps provide 300 meals to families in need.
- During the month of September, visit one of Souplantation’s 11 San Diego County locations, where you can make a donation to Feeding San Diego to help neighbors in need.
- Feeding San Diego has been selected as the charity of the month by Tacos Libertad for September: 100% of the profits will be donated to Feeding San Diego. Stop by Tacos Libertad any day in September to show your support.
- Support Feeding San Diego by doing your shopping with Amazon Smile.
- Create a Facebook fundraiser page for the rest of September, inspiring friends and family to fight hunger.
- Take a staycation with Omni Hotels & Resorts and say Good Night to Hunger. Omni will donate a meal to those facing hunger for every stay.