In order for Feeding San Diego to fulfill our mission, specialized volunteers work throughout the organization to support operations, programs, and other administrative duties. Leadership orientations are held bimonthly in our distribution center.
Critical to organizing and managing 13,000 volunteers annually, Team Leaders help run volunteer shifts with FSD staff.
- Lead groups of volunteers through projects and clean-up in the distribution center
- Answer questions about FSD and how our programs function
- Directly impact our ability to pack food for all of programs, including 2,400 BackPack bags and 1,730 Farm2Kids bags each week
- At least one 3 hour shift per week (preferred)
- At least two 3 hours shifts per month (required)
Ambassadors help mobilize the public to end hunger by sharing information about hunger-relief and FSD at various community events.
- Attend volunteer fairs and FSD Open House events
- Give tours during special events at distribution center
- Recruit FSD champions (donors of time, funds, food, and voice) in an effort to make hunger-relief a community effort
- Volunteer once per month at the distribution center
- Attend offsite or onsite events once per quarter
FSD is a lean organization and relies on volunteers to make every part of the organization run smoothly.
- Take on larger role within one of FSD’s existing departments
- Responsibilities include, but are not limited to answering general inquiry emails and phone calls, advanced data entry, filing and organization, and specialized projects that help to improve department systems and processes
- Help FSD flourish by providing support for the day-to-day activities that are required to run our distribution center
- 20 hours per week (preferred)
- 10 hours per week (required)
Donor Relations Corps
Philanthropic dollars from individual, corporate, and community donors account for 89% of FSD’s funding. This group of volunteers help say thank you to our supporters.
- Call donors to thank them for recent gifts and answer questions
- Write handwritten notes to donors thanking them for their contribution
- Boost FSD’s donor stewardship efforts to increase gift frequency and retention rate of current donors
- Six hours per week (preferred)
- Two hours per week (required)
The opposite of hungry is healthy. Infused throughout all programs, nutrition is key to helping clients thrive.
- Create recipes and nutrition information handouts for FSD programs and distributions
- Participate in nutrition outreach activities on behalf of FSD
- Help distribute healthy recipe cards at community food distributions throughout San Diego County
- Create not only a hunger free, but also a healthy San Diego alongside FSD staff
- Varies by department and time of year
From programs to reception, volunteers assure that administrative tasks are completed allowing more funding to be directed toward food assistance.
- Assist one of FSD’s departments with ongoing office work, including but not limited to data entry, filing, and nutrition education
- Make it possible to distribute 25 million pounds with only 35 full-time staff members
- One three-hour shift per week (required)
- One four-hour shift per week (preferred)
If interested in any of these volunteer positions, please submit a completed volunteer application to Teresa Dale, Volunteer Programs Manager, at email@example.com. Please include the position of interest in the subject line.