Feeding San Diego is proud to announce that its annual Fuel for Summer campaign has raised 1,213,261 meals since its kick-off on May 13, 2019, with another month and a half to go.
In San Diego County, one in six children face hunger — over 120,000 children. Thousands of youth lose access to nutritious school meals over the summer months when school is out. Feeding San Diego is working to meet the increased need by hosting 26 summer meal sites to supplement its on-going food distributions throughout San Diego County. In addition, Feeding San Diego hosts Summer Fun Café sites in partnership with San Diego Unified School District (SDUSD) and Special Regional School Break Distributions once a month, June through August.
The Fuel for Summer campaign provides critical support for summer hunger-relief programs to ensure that children and families get the nutrition they need to live healthy and productive lives.
Funds raised to-date are attributed to widespread community support and dedicated partners:
- NBC 7, Telemundo 20, Ralphs and Food4Less raised 180,000 meals towards the campaign from May 13 through June 9.
- Attorney King Aminpour generously donated 180,000 meals to the Fuel for Summer campaign, including an 80,000 meal match for the Food from the Bar campaign.
- With enthusiastic participation from the legal community of San Diego County, the annual Food from the Bar campaign raised 175,000 meals.
- San Diego Padres helped raise 3,000 meals through ticket purchases for the July 1 game at Petco Park. Every ticket purchased through Feeding San Diego helped provide 20 meals to those facing hunger.
- On June 13, Fashion Valley’s “Dine Out for a Cause” fundraising event raised 12,000 meals through participation from 9th & Lex Café at Bloomingdale’s, Bibigo Kitchen Fashion Valley, Blanco Tacos + Tequila, North Italia, Pure Burger, So Sushi and STACKED! Each restaurant donated at least 10% of each purchase to end hunger.
“We would like to sincerely thank all of the people in the community who supported our Fuel for Summer campaign thus far,” said Vince Hall, CEO of Feeding San Diego. “Thousands of children have access to free and nutritious food this summer, thanks to the generosity of our donors and partners.”
The Fuel for Summer campaign runs until the end of August. There is still time to help raise more meals for children and families this summer, including:
- Join us at the “Punk Goes 90’s Pop” music show presented by Rocktoc at Himmelberg’s in downtown San Diego on August 3. The show is free for all ages and 10% of food sales will be donated to fight hunger.
- Advocate by sharing your voice online on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter @feedingsandiego. Tag us in your posts with #fuelforsummer!
- To learn more about Feeding San Diego and additional ways to get involved in the Fuel for Summer campaign, visit feedingsandiego.org/fuelforsummer.